Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Birthday Wishes

I do not know how I got Type I diabetes.  No one in my family has diabetes.  I am the middle child, and neither one of my siblings have it.  Now, I may have a great-great-great grandmother that had it, but otherwise, no one “gave” this to me.  Yes, it’s true that diabetes is oftentimes inherited, but that is not the case for me.  I was randomly selected to struggle with this for the rest of my life, longing for the day when I could be “normal.”

I tend to go through stages in my life where I wonder why this happened to me.  Why did my body attack itself?  Why did God choose to give this disease to me, and not to the mean girl in my 7thgrade class that made fun of me every day?   What did I do, at the young age of 3 to deserve this?  Why does my life have to end early, hooked up to a dialysis machine?  Why?  It’s unfair. It’s cruel. 

My Sister and I
Every year on my birthday, when it was time to make a wish and blow out the candles, I would wish to no longer have diabetes.  Every.  Single. Year.  If anyone asked what I wished for, I would blush and refuse to say, trying to hide the fact that I’ve had the same wish for 10 years.  I would always think to myself, “isn’t it obvious?”   But no matter what, I continued wishing at every birthday, and I continued praying for a cure till I was about 14-15 years old.  It was at this time in my life when I finally realized that it was pointless to waste my wishes on this.  A cure is not going to happen in my lifetime, and that was obvious.  

During these times I would cry… a lot.  I’d get embarrassed easily when I had to get my meter out and check my blood sugar at school, with everyone staring at me.  It started to become an inconvenience.  I didn’t want to do this anymore.  I got mad at everyone that didn’t have diabetes, practically holding a grudge against them.  No one understood me, and my close family never would.  When I went out to eat, everyone would start chowing down, and I’d still be trying to figure how many carbs I was about to eat.  It was extremely frustrating.  I began to slack off on taking care of myself.  I quit checking my blood sugar, sometimes only checking it once a day- if that.  I wouldn’t figure for my meals until an hour or so after I ate, when my blood sugar had already risen to 300 or more.  My parents got angry.  They cried.  My mother threatened to take me to a therapist.  My father looked me with tears in his eyes, asking why I was doing this.  I was breaking my parents’ hearts.  I was killing myself, and they thought I was doing it on purpose.

The only thing that helped me through this period in my life was time.   Out of the hundred appointments at the diabetes care center, I still could not change my attitude and neglecting behaviors.   It took time.  There was nothing anyone could do, till I realized for myself that I needed to grow up.  Sometime after high school, I started to put my life in perspective.

As I have matured, I have finally come to the conclusion that things just happen.   It took me a long time to get here, but as the cliché says: bad things happen to good people.  I was chosen to deal with diabetes.  So, okay.  I can do this.  I have chosen to go through life with a smile on my face, and hope in my heart that one day there will be a cure.  Many diabetics walk through life with a chip on their shoulder, but I refuse to be one of those people.  I refuse to let diabetes stop me from living my life.  I will get married, I will have children, and I will be healthy.  I’ll live for my family, for Joe, and most importantly, for myself.  You see, maybe I was chosen to use my experiences to help others when I grew older.  Maybe this is all part of a big plan, a bigger picture that a young girl blowing out her candles on her Barbie birthday cake did not understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment